Thursday, February 10, 2011

When They Were Ten

When They Were Ten


I would like to know what life was like when my grandparents were my age. What about my aunts and uncles? I want to know their hobbies, what favorite movie, radio or TV show they liked and where they lived. I’m going to interview three members of my family and see what I can learn.


First I called my Grandma Helen. After I said hi, I asked her what hobby she liked when she was my age. My grandma liked to read books. She also played with her orange cat Carrots and her dolls Judy and Dolores. Next, I asked her where she lived when she was my age. She lived in Corry, Pennsylvania. It was a small town with only about ten-thousand people. Her dad worked in a factory that made office furniture and he was the manager. Finally, I asked my grandma what TV, movie or radio show she liked when she was my age. She said she watched Snow White and Bambi, but that’s when she was younger. She didn’t listen to the radio and they didn’t have TV. I’ve never imagined a ten year old life like grandma’s.


After I called my Grandma Helen, I emailed my Grandpa Gary. He gave a lot of information about his younger days. The hobby he liked was building model airplanes and this interest influenced him to become a NASA engineer. He lived on a farm 15 miles north from Sublette, Kansas. He liked growing up there. He worked hard. His favorite movie was Tarzan of the Apes. He went to any Tarzan movie that came to Sublette. He thought it would be fun to live in jungles and be strong like Tarzan. He also watched western movies like Roy Rogers. His horse’s name was Trigger and Grandpa’s horse’s name was Dixie. He listened to radio shows such as Sky King, Cisco Kid, Straight Arrow, Inner Sanctum and Fibber McGhee and Molly. Grandpa’s childhood wasn’t like mine, but it sounds fun.


After talking to Grandpa Gary, Mom and I sent a face book message to Uncle Scott. Uncle Scott’s hobbies were reading, board games and computers. He lived in Niceville, Florida. He had a magnolia tree in his front yard. I even looked it up online and saw it on Google Earth. He had lots of friends and he was a happy kid. He didn’t watch a lot of TV, but he watched the saturday morning cartoons specifically Looney Tunes. Uncle Scott’s childhood seems like it was great because he made lots of friends and had cool hobbies.


Now I have a good idea of what life was like when my relatives were my age. Grandma’s life was different from mine because she played with dolls and didn’t have television. Grandpa’s life was fun because he worked on the farm and watched a lot of Tarzan movies. Uncle Scott’s life was like mine because he played on the computer and watched saturday morning cartoons like I use to. I learned a lot and I’m glad I know what life was like when they were ten.


No comments:

Post a Comment